You have resources to leverage for racial justice!
1. Money—direct donations, hosting house parties
2. Time—support work, administration, research, filing
3. Skills—fundraising, web-based, outreach, childcare, writing, music, art, carpentry
4. Connections—to journalists, politicians, decision-makers, funders
5. Space—providing space in your house, office bldg., religious or community organization for meetings, living room gatherings, workshops, or art builds
6. Organizational leverage—working for organizational change where you work, where you go to school, where your children go to school, at your religious or community center.
7. Information to share—about racism and other issues of social justice, about how systems work, about organizing, fundraising, etc.
8. Access to white people—family members, friends, neighbors, co-workers, classmates
9. Credibility with white people
10. Access to young people as parents, teachers, youth workers, aunts, uncles, grandparents
11. Your body on the line—showing up for rallies, vigils, protests, city council meetings, school board meetings, etc
12. Witnessing, recording, interrupting, and reporting—incidents of police harassment and brutality, incidents of discrimination and marginalization, overheard personal comments, organizational practices and policies, or on on-line sites
13. Amplifying Black Lives Matter messages—through personal networks, facebook, twitter, letters to the editor, public signs, t-shirts, yard signs
Please educate yourself in the issues, work with others, and be accountable to the Movement for Black Lives, Indigenous nations, and other people of color led communities in your use of your resources
Please send comments, feedback, resources, and suggestions for distribution to firstname.lastname@example.org. Further resources are available at www.paulkivel.com.
All articles may be quoted, adapted, or reprinted only for noncommercial purposes and with an attribution to Paul Kivel, www.paulkivel.com. Creative Commons Attribution – Noncommercial 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit here.3178